This entire month is dedicated to letting things go. Whether that means letting go of limiting beliefs, toxic relationships, shame, or even guilt, letting go is the key to truly living your life’s purpose and walking in the freedom that you’re called to.
There are so many things we need to let go of in life, but one that I’ve seen cripple most people is guilt. Guilt is rooted so deep within our hearts, it’s often hard to recognize we’re carrying it without consciously acknowledging where it originated. We can only recondition what we first recognize, and a book that does a beautiful job at helping readers remove guilt and move past shame is, “Let Go Of The Guilt” by Valorie Burton.
National bestselling author, international speaker and life strategist Valorie Burton is the founder and CEO of the Coaching and Positive Psychology (CaPP) Institute. Her life-changing message has an intriguing, research-based emphasis in the pioneering field of applied positive psychology – the study of what happens when things go right with us.
Her company provides coaching, coach training and resilience training and has served clients in all 50 states and 15 countries on six continents. Since 1999, she has written 13 books on personal development translated into nine languages, including the bestsellers Successful Women Think Differently, Successful Women Speak Differently, What’s Really Holding You Back?, and the most recent book Let Go of the Guilt.
Valorie teaches that resilience is a skill that can be learned – and anyone who wants to have fulfillment, high impact and success must learn it. Today she breaks down how we can stop beating ourselves up and take back our joy, by letting go of guilt.
Key discussion points from this episode include:
- The Persistent Feeling Of Guilt - 7:53
- Authentic Guilt vs. False Guilt - 10:50
- Overcompensating Because Of Guilt - 13:25
- The Stress Of Unspoken Guilt - 17:55
- Mom Guilt & Women Guilt - 23:00
- Show Yourself Grace - 26:00
- Spirituality & Guilt - 27:49
- Embrace Your Story - 34:50
- Flip The Guilt Trip - 38:32
This episode is brought to you by our complimentary Purpose Chasers community. Want to share your aha moments with a group of like-minded purpose chasers from all over the world? Visit iamapurposechaser.com and join NOW.
Let Go Of The Guilt Takeaways
- “There is a guilt gender gap.” - Valorie Burton
- “Guilt is what we feel when we think we’ve done something wrong.”- Valorie Burton
- “False guilt isn’t that you’ve done something wrong, it’s just that you feel like you’ve done something wrong.”- Valorie Burton
- “If you don’t question it, then you’ll behave as though you’re guilty.”- Valorie Burton
- “Guilt is a debt.”- Valorie Burton
- “Guilt tries to hijack your decisions.” - Valorie Burton
- “Mom Guilt is very real.” - Valorie Burton
- “Guilt can follow you throughout the day.” - Patrice Washington
- “Show yourself grace.” - Patrice Washington
- “I truly believe that most of the time we’re doing the best that we can with where we are at that moment." - Valorie Burton
- "God is forgiving, He’s a God of grace and He knows we’re not perfect.” - Valorie Burton
- “In order to move forward you have to be willing to forgive yourself.” - Valorie Burton
- “My biggest failures made me more compassionate.” - Valorie Burton
- “Embrace your story.” - Valorie Burton
- “Guilt is when I've done something wrong, but shame is a step further and believing that who I am is wrong and therefore I must hide it from you.” - Valorie Burton
- “When you begin operating from a place of joy, peace, and truth instead of guilt, you’ll begin to see the outcome that you desire.” - Valorie Burton
- “No one can make you feel guilty unless they find a vulnerable spot they can tap into that you deep down might agree with.” - Valorie Burton
- “People who are guilt trippers are very good at finding the people who are guilt prone.” - Valorie Burton
- “You have to enforce your own boundaries, not just set them, but enforce them.” - Patrice Washington
- “Sometimes to help people, we have to stop helping.” - Patrice Washington
- “You can not achieve your goals when others are putting expectations on you that you receive.” - Valorie Burton
- “There is no success without joy.” - Valorie Burton
Redefining Wealth Rapid Wisdom Questions
And with that, let’s dig into Valorie’s responses to our Redefining Wealth Rapid Wisdom Questions.
“Success is a harmony of purpose, resilience and joy.”
Define Wealth in 3 Words or Less:
“Freedom. Generosity. Peace.”
One Book that Has Redefined How You See Wealth:
Fill-in the Blanks … “My name is ___ and the truth about wealth is ___”:
“My name is Valorie Burton and to me, the truth about wealth is that you can have it if you’re willing to learn what it takes to have it and undo your bad habits.”
Valorie Burton’s Successful Women’s Academy: https://valorieburton.mykajabi.com/swa
Join Purpose To Platform: https://patricewashington.com/purpose2platform/
To advertise on the podcast: http://www.patricewashington.com/podcastads
Become an Official Purpose Chaser: https://www.facebook.com/groups/redefiningwealthcommunity/?ref=bookmarks
To check out ALL of our past guests + episodes: http://www.patricewashington.com/Listen
If you have questions about booking Patrice or sponsoring the podcast, email us at email@example.com.
Find me in Social Media:
Our podcast hashtag is #RedefiningWealth