When it comes to asking for what you want in life, are you the type of person who tries to figure things out on your own or are you the type of person who is willing to ask for help and support?
For many women, myself included, it’s hard for us to ask for what we want because we’re not taught to ask.
For me, I think about why I waited so long to ask for help when my business was crumbling in the last recession and it’s because I grew up in a household where I was not taught to ask. I was taught to figure it out.
Combine that with the fear many of us have about asking for support, and it’s no surprise so many women hold themselves back professionally, as entrepreneurs, and even in their relationships.
Today, Lucinda Cross, author of The Big ASK and an International speaker and influencer, joins us to unpack why so many of us fear asking for help. Lucinda pulls from her own experiences and from the hundreds of people she’s interviewed on this subject and has come up with some practical steps you can take now to get closer to asking your big ASK.
Find Lucinda here: https://lucindacross.com/
This episode is brought to you by Purpose 2 Platform, a 20-week business accelerator and mentorship program that will get you clear on HOW to package your PURPOSE, communicate your PROMISE to your ideal audience, choose the best PLATFORM for your personality and lifestyle and create a PREMIUM offer.
Through this program, you’ll receive accountability and support in a dynamic community designed so you can finally make progress and be ready before you even need to pull that trigger on what’s no longer serving you.
Book a Breakthrough Call today at https://patricewashington.com/purpose2platform/
Get Off Your ASK Takeaways
- The fear of asking usually comes from either not having clarity on what to ask or having asked before and been let down. – Lucinda Cross
- Come up with 10 solid reasons this thing matters, then when you get rejected, remember those reasons and keep asking. – Lucinda Cross
- When you tell people to ask for what they want, they usually only know what they don’t want. – Patrice Washington
- No one wants to do anything for someone who is doing nothing. – Lucinda Cross
- Don’t be an ASKhole (i.e. someone who keeps asking and asking, but then does absolutely nothing). – Lucinda Cross
- Even on your best day, when your swagger is at 100% and everything about you is hot and on full blast, there will be those who don’t feel you. – Lucinda Cross
- Two-thirds of 7 billion people want to say yes to you. They just need to know you exist and know what you have to offer. – Lucinda Cross
As you work on your big ASK, use Lucinda’s work as a guide. Walk through the ten reasons why this thing matters to you and as you go, get more and more clarity on your ask. You also want to avoid being an ASKhole, so be respectful of the person you’re making the big ask of and don’t waste their time.
Do you have a big ASK? Have you ever been an ASKhole? And how can you avoid it from happening again. Let us know in the comments below.
Redefining Wealth Rapid Wisdom Questions
And with that, let’s dig into Lucinda’s responses to our Redefining Wealth Rapid Wisdom Questions.
“Doing what I want, when I want, how I want, with who I want.”
Define Wealth in 3 Words or Less:
One Book that Has Redefined How You See Wealth:
The One Minute Millionaire by Mark Victor Hansen and Robert G. Allen
Fill-in the Blanks … “My name is ___ and the truth about wealth is ___”:
“My name is Lucinda and the truth about wealth is that it’s available.”
To advertise on the podcast: http://www.patricewashington.com/podcastads
Become an Official Purpose Chaser: http://www.iamapurposechaser.com
Join Patrice’s Pod Club: http://www.patricespodclub.com
To check out ALL of our past guests + episodes: http://www.patricewashington.com/Listen
If you have questions about booking Patrice or sponsoring the podcast, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Find me in Social Media:
Our podcast hashtag is #RedefiningWealth